Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Update from the Springs

Hey people, Mr. Hatfield wanted me to post a blog to update everyone on how it is going in Colorado Springs. So here is the one I have written (which is already posted on myspace, so some of you might have seen it already).

Wow. It's been a while since I blogged. Not exactly sure how long, but I'm sure it's been nearly a year.

Anyway, I arrived in Colorado Springs last Tuesday. Had orientation Wednesday and Thursday. Was about 9,000 feet above sea level Friday-Sunday at a retreat for all of the students here at the Focus on the Family Institute. The 88 students are split up into eight teams. Each team did exercises to build confidence and get to know the other people in your group. The first four teams are from one apartment complex (where I live) and the last four are from the other complex.

So that was a fun weekend. I even got to go disc golfing on a "course" they had at the retreat center. I also got to play a couple hours of volleyball (I had a good serve and even blocked a spike attempt once).

We have different classes such as Marriage Studies; Christian Worldview; Family, Church, and Society Studies; and Family Life Studies. I also have a practicum (basically an internship). Today was the first day of class (I had Christian Worldview).

But if there is one thing I have learned, it's that I'll probably come home bearing somewhat of a Southern accent. Out of the 88 people, probably 30 or so are from the South. Most of them have at least a bit of a twang (and this one girl from South Carolina has a very authentic accent). Two of my roommates are from the South (Georgia and Tennessee), though the other is from SoCal.

Oh, and 64 of the 88 students are girls. But that's not the important thing here, right?

So that's a small summary of the first week.

1 comment:

Scott Hatfield . . . . said...

Andrew: Finally got around to reading your comments in full. Sounds like you're not only getting a practical real-world experience, but having fun. I ran into your Mom at a disrict meeting over the weekend, and she shared with me how you were really a 'self-starter' who hung in there to get this opportunity. Good for you! As the saying goes, may you live in interesting times!